Friday, September 28, 2012

My Short Short Camp 19 Story for the Day



“It’s beautiful.”  I said softly.

“It is pretty amazing.”  Cinder agreed.

Jonas and Shane nodded silently.  None of us felt like leaving right away.  The relief of not finding bones washed through us and the breathtaking beauty of nature revived our happiness at being alive and carefree. 

“I’ll race you to the bottom.”  Jonas said punching Shane in the arm as he took off.

“You cheat!”  Shane said scrambling after him.

“Hey, wait up.”  Cinder yelled close on their heels.

I stood alone savoring the joy of the moment.  Then jumped into motion and chased them down.  I felt so full of energy racing down the trail, letting my legs run as fast as they wanted.  I passed Cinder first and raced headlong over branches and around rocks with reckless abandon.  I didn’t even think about it, I just ran like there was nothing else in the world.  Soon I caught Jonas who had slowed down significantly.  Then there was just Shane ahead of me.  I zeroed in on his back and ran as hard as I could.  He was fast but not a runner like me.  I’d been running since I was 7.  My heart, lungs and legs were pumping in unison like a well oiled machine.  I wasn’t even breathing that heavy when I finally caught him.  We were almost to the outskirts of camp.  He slowed a little to look back and I shot past him.  I don’t know why but I just kept running until I reached the beach.  The dock was empty and the beach was, too.  The sun was starting to set so everyone was probably at dinner.  I stood on the beach looking out at the water while my breathing quickly returned to normal.  I felt great.  I’d never run so fast in my life and the burn I felt was that of having pushed myself to the limit.  I closed my eyes and let the gentle wind dry the sweat from my face.  I listened to the animals rustling around in the nearby woods.

No comments:

Post a Comment