Tuesday, September 25, 2012

My Short Short Camp 17 Story for the Day



The path narrowed causing them to hike single file.  The conversation died out as they focused on the trail ahead.  The sun was rising steadily and sweat began to trickle down my back.  I love the outdoors and working up a good sweat.  I would’ve preferred that it was only Cinder and me.  Shane was behind me so I couldn’t keep looking back without him beginning to wonder what was up.  I also had to force myself not to be self conscious.  We had been hiking for about an hour when we reached the ledge where the cave was situated.  There was a dirt slope that led up to it on one side but there wasn’t much to hold on to.  Jonas went first and Cinder followed mimicking his movements.  I climbed up next slipping a little bit near the top but catching myself quickly.  Shane came up last and had no trouble.  We stood at the mouth of the cave for several quiet moments.

“Hey, aren’t we supposed to throw some rocks in or something.  You know, in case of snakes.”  I said.

“Yeah, yeah, I heard that, too.”  Cinder said.

Jonas bent over to pick up a handful of rocks and tossed them into the cave.  After several minutes passed we looked to each other.  I picked up another big rock and chucked it as hard and far as I could.  It made a pretty loud thunk.  The others smiled and picked up some big rocks as well.  We threw the big rocks in for a bit seeing who could make the loudest thunk.  Finally, we stopped staring into the dark again.

“Well, who wants to go first?”  Cinder asked.

No comments:

Post a Comment