Monday, September 17, 2012

My Short Short Camp 9 Story for the Day



The ball was on the ground, people were moving and I quickly forgot everything else as the soccer ball became my sole focus.  Cinder always told me I went into the zone when I played soccer, like some alien took over my body or something.  I had been playing soccer since I was 7 so it was second nature to me.  I knew what to do and where to go.  I never thought of myself as confident but when I played soccer I didn’t think of anything else. I just played.  If I had thought about how close Shane was I never would have been able to put one foot in front of the other without tripping.

Shane had the ball as we passed centerfield.  The opposing team members moved towards him to try to steal the ball.  I sprinted past them and cut over towards the goal making sure to leave at least one full back between me and the goalie so that I wouldn’t be off sides.  As I darted in towards the goal I looked at Shane and he shot the ball my way.  As soon as I made contact I sidestepped the last defender and aimed at the goalie who looked really nervous and for a moment I wondered if he had ever played goalie before but with a fake left I had the goalie leaning that way and I shifted and kicked aiming the ball at the opposite corner of the net.  The goalie saw his mistake but was off balance and unable to dive far enough to stop the ball. 

“Goal!”  Jenny shouted. 

Shane came over and gave me a high five.  “Great shot!” 

“Thanks.  Great pass.”  I said grinning like a fool. 

No comments:

Post a Comment