Thursday, September 20, 2012

My Short Short Camp 12 Story for the Day



That night after the lights were out I heard Cinder shift in her bunk above me.   “So, you really like Jonas, huh?”  I whispered.
       
“Yeah, he’s pretty cute.  And we have fun together.”  Cinder said.  “What about Shane?  You seem to be getting along.”
   
“He’s really nice and easy to talk to, when I don’t think about it too much.”  I said.  “And he has a cute smile.”

“Shhhh!  Some of us are trying to sleep here.”  Alice grumbled.

I rolled over to muffle a giggle and closed my eyes.  Shane immediately popped into my head.  He was taller than me which was nice for a change.  I’d always been one of the tallest kids in my class which made me feel even more awkward around boys.  But that wasn’t the case with Shane.  He really seemed to like a lot of things I liked and we never ran out of things to talk about.  I touched my hand thinking about the tingly sensation from when Shane’s hand had brushed mine today at practice.  With a smile on my face I fell asleep.

The next morning was bright and warm.  Breakfast was quick then crafts and then soccer practice.  By that time it had heated up quite a bit.  After practicing for a half hour the kids were all dragging their feet and most of the water had been drunk. 

Jenny called everyone over.  “It’s too hot for soccer our here on the field.  What do you say we practice some throws over in the water?”

“Yay!!!”  It was unanimous as a couple kids grabbed the soccer balls while the rest made a mad dash toward the dock.

“Hey, take off your shoes first!”  Jenny yelled hurrying to catch up.

Most of the kids stopped long enough to get out of their shoes before continuing into the water but a couple boys had to slog back out and take their sopping wet sneakers off before racing back into the icy cold water.

No comments:

Post a Comment