Sunday, September 23, 2012

My Short Short Camp 15 Story for the Day



Sundays were the best because we had the whole day to do whatever we wanted.  That first week ended with Cinder and I both very happy.  So many things had happened in that first week it felt like a whole summer’s worth.  We were up early for a change and walked down to the beach, stretching out on the dock to look out across the lake.  It was so quiet and peaceful.  We sat in silence for a while.

“It’s been really fun here.”  I said.

“Yeah.  I thought I’d be sad, you know.”  Cinder said.

“Yeah, me too.”  I tried not to show my sadness.

“I can’t believe we won’t be in school together next year.”  Cinder finally said after a long silence.

“I wish you could live with us.”  I said.  “Maybe my mom and dad wouldn’t mind.”  I took hold of the idea and turned to Cinder with hope filling my heart.

She sat up and faced me with a smile.  “That’d be great but I’d miss my family too much.”  She lightly punched me in the arm.  “Besides, who’d want to share a room with a slob like you.”

I laughed in spite of myself.  “Yeah. I just thought….”

We both turned to look back out across the lake again.  The birds chirped and an occasional fish jumped out of the water leaving behind a ripple on the surface.

No comments:

Post a Comment