Monday, October 1, 2012

My Short Short Camp 20 Story for the Day



“That was awesome!”  Shane said moving to stand next to me. 

I blushed as I met his eyes.  “Thanks.”

“What was that?”  Cinder asked coming over to stand directly in front of me. 

“Wow!  I’ve never seen a girl run like that before.”  Jonas said coming up to stand beside Cinder.

“I don’t know.”  I said smiling like a fool.  “I just felt like running fast.”

Cinder stared at me in wonder for another moment then shook her head.  “I don’t know about you guys but I’m starving.”  Cinder said linking her arm in mine and turning me around.  Shane and Jonas grunted in agreement and we all walked to the mess hall.

That night I lay in my bunk thinking about the day.  It had been fun hiking with the guys and even a little exciting thinking about the possibility of seeing some bones.  But when we didn’t find any, I was very relieved.  I just didn’t like to think about death.  The beauty of the view from the cave opening was amazing.  I don’t know why I felt so energized after but the run felt great.  I know I could easily have hurt myself running that fast but for a short time I felt invincible.

“Hey, Melina.  You awake?”  Cinder whispered from the bunk above.

“Yeah.”  I said.

“That was kind of crazy today, huh?”  Cinder said.

“Yeah, it was.”  I said.

“You were running like…like nothing I’ve seen before.”  Cinder said.

“I know.  It was weird, huh?  I just couldn’t help it.  It was like I wasn’t in control.”  I said.  “Like I was watching it happen.”

“It was pretty cool, though.  You kicked butt!”  Cinder laughed.

“I did, didn’t I.”  I said laughing too.

“Shhhhhhhhhh!” 

Cinder and I giggled again before settling down.  I wish I could have seen the expression on Jonas and Shane’s face when I whipped past them but my imagination would have to do.  I fell asleep soon after with a smile still on my lips.

No comments:

Post a Comment