Wednesday, September 19, 2012

My Short Short Camp 11 Story for the Day



At 7 pm we headed to the main hall for a meeting about the end of summer show.   My sugar rush had kicked in.  I was walking too fast for the others and had to keep backtracking.

 “Gee, Melina, you gotta cut back on that sugar.”  Chloe said. 

“Yeah, you’ll never be able to sit still through the whole meeting.”  Alice chimed in. 

“No, no I’ll be fine.  I just want to go, let’s go, c’mon.”  I said motioning to the door. 

 "Okay, okay, we’re coming.” Cinder said laughing as she took my arm and headed inside.  “You’re a sugar junkie, you know that?” 

I laughed and feeling bold said.  “Do you think the boys will be there?”

 “Of course.  Everyone is required to go.”  Cinder said.

“Do we really have to do a skit in front of the whole camp?”  Jeannie asked.

“Yes.  Each cabin has to come up with their own idea and practice it and then perform it in front of everyone else on our last night here.”  Cinder replied.

“Wow, really?”  Alice asked.  “I didn’t know about that.” 

“Yeah, I knew a girl who came here last year and she told me about it.”  Cinder said. 

“What are we going to do?”  Chloe asked. 

“I don’t know.  But we’ve got plenty of time.”  Cinder said reassuringly. 

I wished I had that much confidence but I didn’t.  The idea of standing up in front of a bunch of other kids my age and performing some kind of skit terrified me.  I was terrified just thinking about it.  I knew somehow I would end up doing something that would totally embarrassed myself and everyone would laugh at me and I would blush every shade of red imaginable and I would never be able to show my face in public again.  Ever! 

“Hey, Melina, you gonna sit down or just stand there?”  Cinder asked tugging my arm. 
 
“Hm?  Oh, yeah.”  I mumbled sitting down.  I glanced around trying to be subtle.

“He’s over there with Jonas.”  Cinder smiled pointing two rows ahead and over to the right.  I craned my neck to see and blushed as Cinder chuckled.  “I knew you liked him.” 

Just then the camp coordinator stood up and quieted everyone down.

No comments:

Post a Comment