Saturday, September 15, 2012

My Short Short Camp 7 Story for the Day



Charlie spoke first.  "There will be ten kids on each team.  When your name is called stand behind me or Jenny." 

The girls were divided up first.  When Cinder and I were called for the same team, I breathed a sigh of relief.  Jeannie was on our team and so was Chloe and Alice, all from our cabin. Next the boys we called off.  My smile froze as Shane and Jonas both headed towards our team.  I turned and looked at Cinder in sheer terror. 

Cinder giggled.   "Oh, loosen up.  You're a good soccer player so don't worry about those silly boys."

But boys terrified me.  I liked talking about them to Cinder but in general I had no idea what to do or say around them.  I always felt so uncertain and awkward around boys.  They were so strange and I couldn’t even begin to understand them. 

“Okay team, everyone come with me so I can assign you positions.”  Jenny said heading to the opposite end of the field. 

We obediently followed with a lot of muttering and whispering since this was the first time most of us had ever been on a co-ed team.  No one was really sure what to make of it.  The boys pretended not to look at the girls and the girls stole quick glances at the boys and giggled. 

No comments:

Post a Comment