Friday, September 7, 2012

My Short Short Story for the Day



Have you ever heard of Nice Mice? No? Well, don't worry, you're in the majority. I always get the same reaction from people I mention it to, the "you're a little bit crazy" look. I insist this candy used to exist but the doubt in their eyes is clear even as they laugh it off. This used to be my favorite candy as a kid and could only be found at the YMCA. Although I enjoyed playing sports at the Y, I'd have to say the highlight of my visits were definitely afterwards when I got to enjoy this tasty treat. In 5th grade I started playing basketball for a local elementary school so my visits to the YMCA ended. If only I had known back then, that  Nice Mice wouldn't be around forever, maybe I would have stocked up. Filled a suitcase with them and rationed them out over the years. This was before people were more conscientious about what went into foods so those mice probably would still be good today. 

There are many things I've forgotten over the years but not my all time favorite candy.  They came in a rectangular shaped box similar to those candy hearts with messages on them you can get around Valentine's Day. The candy themselves were similar in texture to Circus Peanuts except they were, of course, in the shape of mice. They were different colors, not just orange, and they squeaked when you bit them (no, just kidding about that part). I don't know when or why they disappeared but just once I'd love to go down memory lane and have one more box of those sweet, little, Nice Mice.

No comments:

Post a Comment