Wednesday, October 31, 2012

My Short Short Camp 28 Story for the Day

 
I tried to focus on what they were saying, but the haze was clouding my mind. I just wanted to close my eyes for a minute but every time I did, Shane would squeeze my hand. I opened my eyes to see him smiling at me. Cinder was pacing and talking but I couldn't focus on her words. Eventually Jonas returned with some people and they loaded me on a stretcher and carried me back to camp.
 
 “It's definitely broken. We're going to have to take you to the hospital.” The nurse said. “And we need to call your parents as well. They can meet you at the hospital and take you home.”
 
 “No!” I yelled in panic. “We still have one more day. I can't go home yet.” I turned to Cinder pleading with her.
 
Does she have to have a cast today? Can't you give her something for the pain and she can go to the hospital tomorrow?” Cinder looked from the nurse to the director and back to me. “Please. It's just for one more day.”
 
 “Please.” I said. “I don't want to go. Not until after the show. Please.”
 
The director looked to the nurse and they stared at each other for several moments. “Is there anything you can do?” He finally asked.
 
 “Well, if she's very careful, then...” The nurse began.
 
 “I promise. I'll be careful. I'll do whatever you ask.” I said.
 
 “Ok, ok.” The director smiled. “Do what you need to do.” Then turning to me, he continued. “Come see me after. We still need to talk to your parents.”
 
 “Ok, I will.” I released my breath. “Thanks.”
 
"Swallow this.” The nurse said handing me a pill and water. “It'll make you feel better.”

No comments:

Post a Comment