Thursday, October 11, 2012

My Short Short Camp 25 Story for the Day



The guys led the way out of the mess hall with Cinder and I close behind.  We stopped just outside of camp and Jonas pointed out where we were headed.  When we started walking again Cinder and Jonas were ahead, talking animatedly.  I walked next to Shane and kept sneaking looks at him.  There was so much I wanted to say but I was too nervous.  We had been getting along so well, so why did I still feel so nervous with him?  Time was running out and there was a lot I didn’t know about him.  Where did he live?  Where did he go to school?  Would he write to me?  Would he forget me?

As these thoughts were running around inside my head Shane took hold of my hand.  I looked up in surprise.  He gave me one of those grins that caused a thousand butterflies to take flight in my stomach.  I smiled but quickly looked away hoping the blush wasn’t too obvious. 

Too soon we reached the tree.  It was gnarled and twisted, looking like something from the scary part of a fairy tale.  We stared up at it for several minutes. 

“Ok, who’s first?”  Jonas said looking to each of us in turn.

We all stood in silence until I couldn’t bear it any longer.  My heart was pounding so hard but I felt this sudden urge to do something out of the ordinary.  I stepped forward.  “I’ll go.”

“Are you sure?”  Cinder stepped up next to me.  “You’re a great climber and all but this tree is…is…weird.”

I smiled.  “I don’t believe in curses Cinder.  I’ll be fine.”


No comments:

Post a Comment