Saturday, October 6, 2012

My Short Short Camp 22 Story for the Day



Sunday we hiked around to the other side of the lake and were sitting on the rocks.  Cinder and Jonas were a little ways away talking with their heads close together.  I looked over once but quickly averted my eyes from their intimacy.

Shane and I were sitting with our legs nearly touching.  I was looking out across the lake when he casually moved his hand slipping it easily into mine.  I didn’t dare look at him for fear I’d blush a deep scarlet red.  He gave my hand a little squeeze after a moment and I looked over.  He smiled without saying a word.  He had a great smile.  I couldn’t help but smile back.  Then we looked out across the lake again, sitting in silence for several minutes before resuming our talk about soccer.  Our fingers remained linked together until it was time to head back to camp.

That night my mind drifted to the afternoon and I thought about the warmth of Shane’s hand as it held mine.

“Melina?”  Cinder whispered.

“Yeah?” I replied.

“We only have a week left.”  She said.

“I know.”  My smile faded away as the weight of it settled onto my heart

“What are we going to do?”  Cinder asked.

“I don’t know.”  I said.

No comments:

Post a Comment