Wednesday, November 21, 2012

My Short Short Camp 36 Story for the Day



I blushed against my will as my eyes settled on Shane's face. He looked so cute up there. They did a dance routine to a Van Halen song. It was pretty funny. I crossed my fingers hoping they wouldn't make a mistake and they didn't. Well, if they did, at least it wasn't obvious. Cinder and I stood up and cheered as they took a bow. After the show everyone stayed in their seats waiting for the announcement of the winners.

A short time later the camp director walked onto the stage and tapped the microphone a couple times. “This has been one of the best groups of kids we've ever had here.”

All the kids cheered, whistled and clapped enthusiastically. After several minutes they finally settled back down.

Everyone did a great job today. You've been working hard all summer and it certainly shows. It was a very difficult decision to pick the top three acts. All of you should be very proud, parents and kids alike.” Everyone clapped again. “Yes, you all deserve a round of applause. But now, without further ado, in third place is Cabin 4.”

Jonas and Shane jumped up high-fiving each other before going on stage with the rest of the boys from their cabin. The audience cheered as each boy received a ribbon.

In second place is Cabin 10.”

The girls of Cabin 10 hurried up on stage giggling and blushing and hugging each other.

And the winner of this summer's talent show is...Cabin 12”

Cinder shot out of her seat with a loud whoop. I sat frozen in place, too stunned to believe my ears. Cinder grabbed my hand and dragged me up onto the stage. I was still in shock. We actually won. I couldn't believe it. As we received our trophies the audience stood and cheered. I finally managed to smile. Cinder put her arm around my shoulder and smiled waving her trophy.

I look around and my eyes meet Shane's. He smiles and shows me his wrist. It takes me a moment but then I recognize the friendship bracelet I gave him. I smile remembering his note is still in my pocket. Then Cinder gives me a big hug and I know that no matter what, we'll always be best friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment