Wednesday, November 21, 2012

My Short Short Camp 35 Story for the Day



As the girls from cabin 15 went out onto the stage I paced back and forth too nervous to watch. We decided to do a dance routine to my favorite Bette Midler song. Cinder and I had suggested the song to the group and everyone had readily agreed. Then we all worked together to create a dance routine. We had practiced so much that I could do it in my sleep but now, at this very moment looking out at all the faces watching us, I felt terrified and my mind blanked.

Cinder. Cinder! What if I forget the moves?” I said as tears glistened in my eyes.

Melina, it's ok. Don't worry.” Cinder put her arm around my shoulders and leaned her head against mine. “You know the routine. You'll be fine. Just forget about them out there. Think only about the dance moves.”

But...” Panic was swelling up in my throat.

Stop.” Cinder put her hands on my shoulders and made me look her in the eye. “You CAN do this.”

I took a deep breath and let it out very slowly. “Ok. I'm ok. Just lost it for a minute. I'm ok now.”

Good cause we're on.” Cinder's smile chased away the rest of the fear.

As soon as the music started my mind blocked all else out except the dance moves. I hit every mark and didn't trip over anyone. When the song ended and the curtain fell, we cheered and hugged. We hurried off the stage giggling in relief and sheer joy.

We did it! I can't believe it. We really did it!” I was shocked and thrilled. I'd never danced so well before in my life.

Yeah! We're awesome!” Cinder yelled.

I'm so happy it's over, though.” Alice said sighing loudly.

We did a group hug then made our way to the front row to watch the rest of the acts. The other acts blurred together until Cinder elbowed me sharply.

Ow! What?” I said rubbing my ribs.

Jonas and Shane are up.” Cinder whispered pointing.

No comments:

Post a Comment