Friday, November 9, 2012

My Short Short Camp 31 Story for the Day



We sat on the beach watching the other kids running down the dock and jumping in. The spray shot into the air with each cannonball. The sun was still out but a chill crept into the air. I picked at the sandwich for a while but eventually put it back in the bag. Everyone was having fun, enjoying their last few days of summer, except for me. My best friend was moving away and it just wasn't fair.

Hey! Stop that!” Cinder's laughter broke into my thoughts. Shane and Jonas were splashing her with water. Then Jonas reached out to grab her but before he could Cinder raced up the beach and flopped down next to me dripping all the way.

Hey! You're getting me wet!' I said trying to sound mad.

Jonas collapsed on the sand in front of us breathing heavy. “I think I could fall asleep right here.”

Shane sat down on the other side of Jonas. “Looks like everybody's leaving for the barbeque.”

It wasn't long before the beach was empty except for the four of us. “Should we go?” I asked.

We all looked from one to the other. Cinder grinned and soon Jonas was, too, followed by Shane and then me. The barbeque was a summer end event they had every year. The cooks went all out and the kids loved it. It was the highlight of the summer. But this year, it just didn't feel that important.

Well, what should we do, then?” Cinder asked.

Jonas stood up and brushed the sand off his hands. “I don't know about you but I'm going to...” Just then he scooped Cinder up and rushed towards the lake. She shrieked, kicking and swinging until the fell in a heap on the sand only a few inches from the water.

I stood up dusting my shorts off, laughing at my friend and wishing my arm was all better. Shane fell in step with me as I walked out onto the dock. I settled in at the end careful not to jostle my arm. I dangled my feet into the water and didn't mind the icy coldness nipping at my toes.

I wish summer wasn't almost over.” Shane spoke softly.

Me, too.” I said putting my hand on the dock wishing I had the nerve to look at him.

No comments:

Post a Comment