Wednesday, November 14, 2012

My Short Short Camp 33 Story for the Day



The next morning the entire camp was buzzing with anticipation as our parents would be arriving soon after breakfast. Cinder and I arrived a little early for breakfast, got our food and sat down at a table in the corner. We wanted to talk but neither of us knew what to say. We watched as the other kids laughed, talked and had fun, enjoying the last day of camp. I was picking at my pancakes when Jonas and Shane walked in. Cinder saw them, too and waved them over. They were a nice distraction. They walked us back to our cabin and when we neared the fork in the path, Jonas and Cinder kept walking towards the boys cabin while Shane and I stopped in front of the girls cabin. I suddenly felt very shy.

Here. This if for you.” He hands me a note neatly folded into a square. “Don't read it now. Wait until you get home. Please.”

His smile was so sweet and his cheeks had the faintest hint of a blush. I never liked any boy more than I liked him right at that moment. I grinned at him like a fool for several moments before I had a thought. “Wait here. Don't go.”

He nodded. I rushed into the cabin and tore through my bag. “I know it's in here somewhere.” I mumbled finally deciding to dump my bag onto my bed. I could clean it up later. Here it is. I hurried back out and nearly ran into Shane who had moved over to lean against the railing of the steps.

Oh, sorry.” I said. “Here. I want you to have this. It's...it's a friendship bracelet. Cinder and I really got into it this past year. It was very popular among the girls. Anyway, this is my favorite one and I want you to have it.” I quickly tied it around his wrist.

Thanks. It's cool.” Shane said.

My heart was pounding a mile a minute. Without another thought I kissed him on the cheek and rushed back up the steps. I stopped at the door and looked back at him. He was still leaning on the railing and smiling up at me. “See you later.”

See ya.” I said and went into the cabin.

No comments:

Post a Comment