Tuesday, November 6, 2012

My Short Short Camp 30 Story for the Day



Cinder and I walked to the mess hall. It was too late for lunch but too early for dinner. We were hoping maybe the cook was still there and had some leftovers or something. I wasn't really hungry anymore but I didn't know what else to do. The end of summer was looming over us. When we leave camp tomorrow it'll be more than just goodbye, see you tomorrow. It'll be goodbye forever. Tears blurred my vision and I stumbled. Cinder caught me before I fell.

Thanks.” I said swiping the tears away.

It's going to be ok.” Cinder smiled.

But what if we never see each other again? What if you get too busy? What if you find a new best friend? What if you forget about me?” I couldn't stop myself.

It's going to be ok.” Cinder put her arm around my shoulder and started us walking again. “We'll stay in touch. I promise. We can even have sleepovers

sometimes, too. And who knows, we could always go to the same college.”

I stopped and looked at Cinder. I stared at her for a long time. “I sure hope so.”

You'll always be my best friend Melina.” Cinder laughed. “There's no one else quite like you.”

I laughed, too. When we got to the mess hall Jonas and Shane were sitting outside.

What took you so long?” Jonas said with a grin. He held up a brown bag in triumphant.

What's that?” Cinder asked.

Since you two missed lunch we thought you'd be hungry. Just didn't expect to sit here so long waiting.” Jonas held the bag out to us.

Thanks.” I said looking to Jonas and then Shane. I couldn't stop the blush when Shane smiled at me.

Let's go down to the lake.” Cinder said taking the bag and leading the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment