Thursday, September 19, 2013

My Short Short for the Day

 
“Are you sure?” The police officer had his doubts.

“Yes, yes I remember. It was a four leaf clover. A...a shamrock. That's it.” Mira shot out of her seat in her excitement.

“And why were you there? It says here that you live several blocks away.” He sure didn't like citizens taking things into their own hands. It usually ended badly.

“Well, you see. I was walking my usual route. I like to walk every evening, for exercise, you know. And this man, sort of shifty like, brushed past me. I was annoyed and almost told him so, but there was something about him.” Mira's thoughts drifted.

“Something? What something?” The officer sat up straighter. His mother had taught him that a woman's intuition was always worth listening to.

“Oh, sorry. I got this weird sort of feeling. So I followed him.” Mira held up her hand as the officer opened his mouth. “I know. I should have called the police but I didn't have anything to tell them and I was afraid I would lose him if I stopped. So I followed him.”

The officer leaned in and nodded.

“Anyway, he hurried down the sidewalk and looked around then darted down a dark alley. I had to run to catch up. I thought I had lost him then there was moonlight. He walked right into it climbing the stairs to the second floor. I stayed close to the bushes and watched as he entered that door. The one with the shamrock.” Mira lowered her voice. “There's something not right there. Please check it out.”

The office stood and straightened his belt. He rubbed his chin and took a deep breath. “Ok. I'll drive by. But that's all I can promise.”

“Oh, thank you Billy. You're mother would be so proud of what a fine young man you've become.” Mira patted his hand, smiling warmly.

“Thank you Mrs. Welton. Let me give you a ride.” Billy tapped his partner's shoulder and gestured. “We've got a suspicious activity to check out.”

No comments:

Post a Comment