Friday, September 13, 2013

My Short Short for the Day



“Ok soldiers, keep it together. We can do this.”

“Oh, no Sarge, look! It's another shadow!”

“Hurry soldiers. Move. Move. Move!”

“Look Mommy! Worms! Can I help them?” The little boy toddled towards the scattered worms.

“Sure, I've got sanitizer. Just be gentle with them.” Mom pulled out her phone to check her emails.

“Don't worry little wormies. I'll save you.” The boy gently lifted each worm and carefully laid it in the grass away from the sidewalk. “All done Mommy.”

“Good job, Honey. Now they'll all be safe.” Mom took the boy's hand and they continued on their way.”

“I don't know how much longer I can take this, Sarge.”

“We have to keep going. No matter the odds. No matter how many times we get moved, we have to push forward. The others are depending on us.”

“But this is the 6th time we've been taken back to the starting point.”

“I know soldier, but we can't give up now. Soldiers! Line up and head'em out!

With a heavy sigh, the worms began their journey toward the sidewalk...again.

No comments:

Post a Comment