Tuesday, September 10, 2013

My Short Short for the Day



“Daddy! Daddy! I just knew you'd come.” Cindy ran to her father hugging him tight and beaming brighter than the sun.

“Of course Honey! I promised you, didn't I.” He picked her up and tossed her in the air until she giggled uncontrollably.

“Mommy! Mommy! He came! He came! I told you!” Cindy raced to the back room.

“Oh, Honey. I know you wished...” Kathy stopped short when she saw him. “Oh, Jim? Is it...”

He smiled that easy grin. She hurried into his arms and held him tight struggling to hold back the tears. Cindy hugged them both. “Group hug!” She cheered.

They laughed and played talked for several hours when Jim stood. His smile was still there but a sadness filled his eyes. “It's time to go.”

“Where are we going Daddy?” Cindy asked standing up and taking hold of his hand.

“No, not we. I have to go...alone.” Jim ruffled her hair and kissed her forehead.

“But, so soon?” Kathy reached out to him and clasped his hands.

He pulled her into his arms and this time she didn't hold back the tears. “Not now. Not again. Please.”

Cindy grabbed hold of her mom and dad's hands. “Don't go Daddy! Please!”

He hugged Kathy and kissed her tenderly then knelt down and hugged Cindy. “I love you Sweetie. Never forget that.”

He stepped away and climbed the steps to the door. He pulled it open and the light that flooded through was so thick and bright nothing could be seen beyond.

Cindy watched with tears rolling down her cheeks. Kathy was holding her in her arms letting her tears flow as well. “Bye Daddy! I love you!” Cindy whispered.

Jim paused and looked back at his family and smiled. Then turned and walked into the light.

No comments:

Post a Comment