Wednesday, September 18, 2013

My Short Short for the Day



“Look Sarah! I got her! I did it!” Evy raced to her sister shaking the photo.

“Oh, yeah? Let me see that.” Sarah yanked the photo from her sister's hand and scrutinized the image. “Naw. I don't think that's her.” She tossed it carelessly to the ground and walked away.

“But...but...but...” Evy quickly picked up the photo and carefully brushed it off. “It is her. I swear it.” She stared at the photo for a long time. “I just know it was her.”

“Girls, time for dinner.” Mom yelled out the window.

Sarah raced past Evy snickering. Evy walked slowly inside and placed the photo carefully under her pillow before washing her hands. She sat quietly through dinner and then took a quick bath then off to bed.

“Ok, which books do you want tonight?” Mom asked looking at the many books on the shelf.

“None.” Evy said crawling into bed.

“What?” Mom sat on the bed and touched Evy's forehead. “Are you feeling ok, Sweetie?”

“Yeah. It's just...” Evy pulled the photo out.

“What's this?” Mom gently took the photo and looked at it.

“It's a fairy. She was out in the yard this morning talking to the flowers. I took her picture to prove it but Sarah says I'm wrong.” Evy pouted.

“Well, do you believe that is the fairy?” Mom handed the photo back to Evy.

“Yes. I know it's her.” Evy said forcefully.

“Then I believe you.” Mom said with a smile. “And you should believe you, too.”

“Thanks Mom!” Evy said giving her a big hug. “How about the Fairy Princess returns?”

“Good choice.” Mom replied settling in next to Evy and opening her favorite book.

No comments:

Post a Comment