Tuesday, August 21, 2012

My Short Short Story for the Day



The gun went off.  It was the 1600 meter finals for the State Track Meet.  I was ranked last, the underdog.  I had nothing to lose so I took off fast trying to push the pace and maintain the lead for as long as possible.  I made it around most of the first lap before two girls passed me on the final corner.  I cut to the inside and took up the third position.  Now it was just a matter of holding on to that position, which I did for the second lap.  Then came the third lap, my toughest.  It’s always the hardest lap for me.  I’m starting to get tired and I want to save something for the final lap.  It’s all mental at that point.  The start of the third lap I tried to stay focused.  I was running faster than I’d ever run before and still in third place.  I felt as if I was outside of myself watching the race from above.  It was a strange feeling, one I’d never felt before nor since.  Maybe it was the runner’s high that I’ve heard people talk about.  Anyway, I kept telling myself to hold on, to keep running as fast as I could.  I really wanted to get a medal and I had to place in the top 5 to do so.  On the back stretch of the third lap another girl passed me.  Now I was fourth and still had a lap and a half to go.  I made it through the rest of the third lap maintaining my position.  I started the final lap urging my body to move even faster but I was already giving it all I had.  I pumped my arms and legs willing them to hold out just a little longer.  I rounded the final corner of the final lap and another girl passed me.  I was in fifth place and only 100 meters to go.  So close!  Just a little further!  Push it!  Come on!  I somehow found a tiny little reserve of energy and sped up enough to cross the finish line in fifth place.  Yay!  Not only did I get my medal but I also finished with the fastest time I’d ever run.

No comments:

Post a Comment