Monday, October 19, 2020

My Short Short for the Day

“If you could fly, where would you go?”  Eldin looked intently at Sari’s face.

“Well, I would fly as high up as I could into the sky.  Beyond the trees.  Beyond the clouds.  Beyond the stars.  I would keep flying for as far as I could.  For as long as I could.”  Sari looked down at her hands as she talked.  Her voice was soft and wistful.

“Would you visit other planets or universes?”  Eldin looked up at the sky imagining distant worlds.

“No.  I would just fly out into the inky, darkness of space.  I would keep flying until I could fly no more.  Then I’d stop.  I’d close my eyes and let go.”  Sari tilted her head upwards.  A gentle smile settled on her face and her eyes sparkled.

Eldin looked over.  He could see the sadness in her eyes.  He could hear the sadness in her voice.  But her smile was so peaceful and serene.  He wanted to touch her cheek, caress it.  He raised his hand.

“I would let myself drift until forever ends.”  Sari slowly turned to look at Eldin. 

He dropped his hand and stared helplessly.  Her sparkling eyes undid him.

“I should go now.  Mother will be worried.”  Sari stood.  She was still smiling as she looked down at him. 

Eldin stood abruptly.  “I can walk you.”

“No, thank you.  I should go alone.”  Sari turned and took a few steps away, then stopped.  “Same time tomorrow?”

“Yes, of course.  I’ll be here.”  Eldin blushed slightly and watched her walk away.  He stared for a long time, even after she had disappeared from view. ‘So much sadness and wonder.  What was it like being her?”

No comments:

Post a Comment