Wednesday, January 15, 2014

My Short Short for the Day


I can do what?” Lidy stared at her thumb.

Magic. I said magic.” Ben said shaking his head. “Geesh Lidy, weren't you listening?”

Yeah, yeah. I was listening then you said that word...” Lidy turned her eyes to meet Ben's. “I just can't believe it. It's...It's...so weird.”

I know. I was weirded out at first too, but you get used to it.” Ben put his arm around Lidy's shoulder. “And it can be pretty fun.”

Ok. Say I believe you. Then, why? Why me?” Lidy shoved her hands in her pockets to stop staring at them.

I don't know. I never thought about it much. It's just the way it is. I guess.” Ben shrugged.
Who cares anyway, let's enjoy it while it lasts.”

Yeah, I guess but still...” Lidy followed Ben back towards the house. She stared at her hand again wondering what it all meant.

Hi Lidy. Hi Ben.” Elsa smiled broadly. “Go wash up. Hurry now. Dinner is almost ready.”

Ok.” They said in unison hurrying through the kitchen, down the hall and into the downstairs bathroom. 
 
The bell rang and they raced back to the dining table, quickly finding their spots amongst the other children. The orphanage currently housed 29 children ranging from 4 years old all the way up to 15.

Lidy had considered her self boringly average until today. As she waited for her food she looked around the table wondering if any of the other kids had magic. Her eyes met Ben's and he smiled. Then as if reading her mind, he nodded yes.  She raised her eyebrows and he mouthed "All of them".

No comments:

Post a Comment