Saturday, September 19, 2020

My Short Short for Yesterday

I still remember that face staring at me from the window as the police car drove away.  I stared back helplessly as the terror still clutched my heart in a vice grip.

That morning had been bright and sunny, with a warm breeze and blue skies.  I woke up early with a smile on my face, ready for the day’s adventure.  I was babysitting for a new client today.  It was a sort of test run.  The couple was looking for a live-in nanny for their 6-year-old daughter.  I had babysat for many years growing up and taken CPR courses and even recently completed some child development classes at the local community college.  Things were looking bright for my future and today was my chance to secure my first real job. 

“Bye Mom, Dad! I’m heading over to Mr. and Mrs. Sinclair’s house now!”  I picked up my bag and headed towards the door. 

“Good luck Honey!”  My mom called from the living room.  “See you tonight!”

I caught the local bus and 20 minutes later, stepped off in front of a beautiful Brownstone.  I checked my notes and walked to #712.  I was almost immediately buzzed in.  Huh, I guess they saw me get off the bus.  I thought.  I went inside and the door shut automatically behind me.

“Hello?  Mr. and Mrs. Sinclair?”  I looked around.  “It’s me, Melanie.  The sitter.”

I walked slowly towards the first door.  “Hello?”  It was locked.  I moved to the next door but found it locked as well.

“Are you here to watch me?”  A small voice echoed down the hall.

“Lilly?  Is that you?”  I turned around.  “Yes, it’s me, your sitter, Melanie.”

“Try to find me.”  The voice said.

‘Maybe Mr. and Mrs. Sinclair were out back and didn’t hear my come in.’  I tried to shake off the odd feeling that was creeping in.  ‘I’ll go find Lilly first then talk to them.’

“Ok, I’m coming to find you.”  I said figuring it wouldn’t take long.

I checked the rest of the doors downstairs but all of them were locked.  ‘Weird.’  I frowned. 

Then I went upstairs, and it seemed even quieter than before.  She was really good at keeping still.  At the top of the stairs I turned left and checked the door at the end of the hallway, locked.  I checked the next door and the next and the next, but they were all locked.  ‘Very weird.’  The hair on my arm got prickly. 

“Don’t be stupid Melanie.  I’m sure there is a logical explanation.” I grumbled to myself.

Then I stopped in front of the door at the end of the other hallway.  It must be the master bedroom because it seemed to take up at least 1/3 of the upstairs space.  I turned the knob and it squeaked loudly.  I cringed as it echoed down the hall behind me.  I pushed the door open carefully and it creaked in reluctance.  The room was dim, but some sunlight was seeping in around the curtains.  I checked the wall for a light switch but couldn’t find one, so I made my way to the nearest window and pulled the curtains open.  I heard a loud hiss from somewhere behind me and jerked around.  In the farthest, darkest corner I could see a small figure huddled there, shielding its eyes from the burst of light. 

 

                                    *******     to be continued     *******

No comments:

Post a Comment