Thursday, September 10, 2020

My Short Short for the Day

 “Quick!  Hurry!  My baby is still in there!”  The soot covered woman screamed.

Without hesitation, I raced into the burning building.  I was hit with a wall of smoke so thick I started to choke.  I remembered those movies where they show the person covering their nose and mouth with a cloth and that seemed to fix the problem, so I searched for something I could use.  There was a bandana lying on the floor so I scooped it up and did my best to cover my face.  It wasn’t great, but it helped.  I kept low and searched, listening carefully.  I couldn’t see or smell anything except smoke so I had to rely on touch and sound.  Of course, everything felt hot on my feet but I tried to block out the pain.  The sounds of crackling flames dominated but I forced myself to tune those noises out and listen for anything other than that.

Suddenly I heard a faint whimper.  I stopped and listened harder.  There it was again.  Coming from that room.  I went to the door and felt it to see if it was hot.  It was, but the whimper was louder now.  I moved back a few steps then charged the door.  It burst open and flames shot at me.  I ducked and rolled to the side.  I looked around, listening and then I heard the whimper.  It was getting faint.  I crawled across the floor to the tattered remnants of a bed.  I poked my head under and there she was, a little girl.  Maybe 3 or 4 years old.  Crying softly with a teddy clutched in her hands.

I stretched myself further under the bed and grabbed hold of her nightgown.  I tugged but she wouldn’t move.  It was getting hotter.  I couldn’t wait.  I yanked and the child fell over.  I dragged her out from under the bed, shoved my head in next to the teddy so that her arms were around my neck and dashed out of the room.  She stumbled along beside me, moving mechanically but at least she was moving.   We rushed through the rooms, dodging obstacles, flames and falling debris until we burst out into the cold night air.

I took a few wobbly steps, then collapsed.  The screaming woman knelt beside us, gently cradling the little girl who was still clinging to my neck. 

“Good doggie.”  The little girl managed to say before her mother hugged her tight to her chest. 

“Very good doggie.”  The woman agreed gently stroking my back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment