Tuesday, October 6, 2015

My Short Short for the Day


Sam flapped his little flipper-like wings gliding through the water and letting the ripples tickle his tummy.  This is the best day ever he thought to himself.  The sun is shining, warming up my tail feathers.  The water is clear so I can see any fishies swimming around.  The pond is empty.  All mine!  Ah!  So relaxing.  Sam wiggled his tail feathers to shake off the water then paddled his feet to build up speed.  Just as he was about to dive down under Sploosh!  A wave crashed into his side rolling him over.  He righted himself and ruffled up his feathers before settling down again.  He swam to the nearest rock and waddled up. 

“Hey!  What do you think you’re doing?”  He yelled.

“Sorry about that.”  The stranger replied.  ” Did I get you wet?” 

“Yeah!  Lucky for you I like water.”  Sam stared at the unusual creature as it slowly emerged.

“I didn’t realize anyone else was in here.”  The stranger smiled pulling itself onto the rock next to Sam.  “It’s such a beautiful day, I thought I’d practice my cannonballs.”

“What?  What’s a cannonball?”  Sam frowned at the creature.  “And what are you?”

“I’m a turtle.  My name’s Greg.”  The stranger grinned.

“I’m Sam.”  Sam couldn’t help but smile back.  “So, what’s a cannonball anyway?”

“Oh, it’s a lot of fun.  I just learned how to do it last week from a pelican friend.”  Greg inched to the edge of the rock.  “See, you jump up, tuck your arms and legs into your shell and Sploosh!”

Sam tilted his head to the side.  “Uh, Greg, I don’t have a shell.”

“Oh, yes, right.”  Greg shook his head.  “You just curl up into a ball then, tuck all your body parts in.  That should work.”

“Well, let’s see.”  Sam jumped and Splat! landed a belly flop on the top of the water. 

“Oooo, that’s gotta hurt.”  Greg cringed.  “Here, watch me.”  Greg jumped up and out from the rock, pulled his arms, legs and head into his shell and Sploosh! landed in the water sending a giant wave up and over Sam.

“Wow!  That was awesome!”  Sam cheered.  “Ok, I want to try again.”  Sam waddled out and inched to the edge of the rock.  Then crouched down and jumped up as high as he could, tucking himself into the tightest ball and Sploosh!  He sent a wave crashing over Greg, the rocks and even over the edge of the pond.

“Woohoo!  Way to go Sam!”  Greg yelled.

Sam bobbed on the surface grinning.  “Let’s do that again!”  Sam swam to the rocks and waddled up behind Greg.  This was the best day ever he thought to himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment