Friday, October 23, 2015

My Short Short for the Day


“I knew it!”  Callie cheered.

“Hey Honey, I’m home.”  Stan said kicking off his shoes as he closed the front door.  He walked through the kitchen and into the living room trying to unknot his tie.  

“How was your day Dear?”  He asked still struggling with the knot.  After a moment of silence he looked up.

“Callie?”  Stan stared at the empty chair frowning for several moments then shrugged and walked down the hall. 

The ripples in the fish tank slowly subsided, settling into a serene, smooth surface again. 

“Huh.  Must be at Zumba still.”  Stan said successfully removing his tie with a grin and tossing it onto the bed. 

“Maybe I should make dinner?”  Stan wrinkled his nose.  “Nah.  I’m not that hungry.”

Stan turned on the shower, cranking up the hot water, then stepped in.

The water in the fish tank began to sway as ripples spread out from the center.  A flash of light pierced the room, then Callie was back in her chair.  She jumped up from her chair and raced to the bedroom, pounding on the bathroom door.  “Honey, you’ll never believe what just happened!”

“Oh, good.  You’re home.”  Stan yelled back.  “What’s for dinner?”

“Never mind that.  I’ve got to tell you what happened.”  Callie shook with excitement.  “You see, I found some sort of time travel portal or transporter or something.  I don’t know exactly but it was amazing.”

“That’s good Dear.”  Stan yelled back humming to himself.  “So what did you say was for dinner?”

“Nothing.  I’m talking about traveling to another dimension or time.  It’s…it’s incredible.”  Callie started to pace, her mind racing with the possibilities.

“Sounds interesting.”  Stan mumbled as he shut off the water and wrapped a towel around himself.  He peeked out the door.  “So…about dinner…?”

Callie stopped, stared at him, and then stomped out of the room.

“Should we order take out?”  Stan called after her.  “I’m starving.”

No comments:

Post a Comment