Thursday, January 7, 2021

My Short Short for the Day

“Where were you last night?”  The officer held his pencil at the ready.  When no response came, he raised an eyebrow.

“I…I was at the pub for a bit and then came home.”  Al muttered wringing his hands.  “I didn’t do it.”

The officer stared at him for a long time, waiting him out.  Hoping the young man would confess or at least give himself some kind of alibi.  After several moments, he said, “What time did you leave the pub?”

“I dunno.”  Al shifted uncomfortably in his wooden chair.  “9 or so.”

“Then what did you do?”  The officer scribbled a few notes.  Then stared at the silent figure across from him.  “If you don’t talk, then we have to charge you.”

“I went home.  That’s it.  I had a few drinks with Billy and then I walked home.”  Al sighed.  “I didn’t do it I tell ya.  I didn’t do it.”  Al slammed his cuffed fists onto the table.

“Alright Al.  Settle down.”  The officer stood and walked past Al, patting his shoulder before leaving the room. 

“What do you got?”  Chief asked.

“Not much.”  The officer flipped open his notebook.  “He left the bar at 9 or so, then went home.  You know old man Jenkins won’t be able to corroborate.  Ted says he didn’t leave the bar till after midnight.”

“What did Mrs. Harris say?”  Chief poured himself another cup of coffee.

“She put it in the jewelry box and went to bed at 8pm.  The next morning, the jewelry box was open, the lock broken, and the locket was missing.”  He flipped the page.

“What did you find at the house?”

 

           ***To be continued…***

No comments:

Post a Comment