Tuesday, January 12, 2021

My Short Short for the Day

“Dora, could you explain what you did that night?”  The officer said, notebook at the ready.  As the silence dragged out, the officer looked up at her and raised an eyebrow.  “Dora…”

“I already told you.  Why do I have to say it again?”  Dora crossed her arms and set her jaw.

“I know you did, but we just wanted to check our facts.  Dinner ended at 6pm.  What did you do after?”  The officer skimmed his notes.

“I went to my room.”  Dora frowned.

“You stayed in your room?”  The officer kept his voice calm.

“Yes.”  Dora shifted on the couch.

“Alone.”  The officer looked directly at her this time.

“Yes, of course.”  Dora darted her eyes towards her mother and then back to the officer and then she shifted her seat again. 

“What time did you go to sleep?”  The officer wrote some notes on his pad.

“8.  I have to go to bed at 8.  Every night.”  Dora crossed her arms again and settled.

“Did you hear anything?  Or see anything?  Like lights outside or noises?”  The officer looked at Dora.

“No, I was asleep the whole time.”  Dora stated, her attitude returning.

“And you didn’t leave your room all night?”  The officer locked eyes with her.

“No.  No, I told you.  I was asleep all night.”  Dora tensed.

 

           ***To be continued…***

No comments:

Post a Comment