Monday, December 2, 2013

My Short Short for the Day



What's the point? Ella wondered. No matter what I do, it's just never good enough. She sulked at her desk twirling her pencil in one hand and resting her chin on the other. She had a good day at school but as soon as she walked in the door her dad was all over her. She didn't make her bed well enough, she didn't play hard enough in the soccer game yesterday, she didn't do well enough on her test, she didn't eat all her dinner...it just went on and on until he finally said, “Why can't you be more like your sister?”

Tears pooled in her eyes as she dropped her head to her desk. Just once she wished he would tell Mara that. Mara, so perfect. Her room was always perfectly neat, she was the best athlete in her grade, her test scores were always perfect, she never got in trouble, blah blah blah. Why couldn't Mara mess up just once? Like get an F on her test or score a goal for the other team or disappear...forever!

There was a knock on the door. “Who is it?' Ella grumbled quickly swiping at the tears.

“It's me. I brought you a snack.” Mara said. “Can I come in?”

“Yeah, sure.” Ella pretended to be hard at work studying.

“I heard Dad.” Mara set the plate on the edge of Ella's desk. “Sorry he's so hard on you.”

Ella glanced over as Mara sat on the bed. She actually looked sad.

“I wish he wouldn't compare us.” Ella finally said.

“Me, too.” Mara agreed. “It's not fair. You're so creative and musical. I wish he would realize that.”

Ella grumbled hiding her surprise.

“He puts so much pressure on you.” Mara looked at Ella. “You're pretty cool just as you are.”

Ella looked at Mara not bothering to hide her surprise anymore. “You really think so?”

“Yes, of course.” Mara laughed. “I've always been jealous of talented you are with paints and I would love to be able to play drums like you do. Dad would freak if I even thought of asking for lessons.”

Ella turned to Mara. “Thanks. I wish I could play soccer like you. And wish good grades were as easy.”

Mara smiled at Ella as she stood. “Hey, we both have our strengths, right?”

Ella smiled back. “Yeah.”

As Mara closed the door behind her, Ella whispered, “I'm glad you didn't disappear.”

No comments:

Post a Comment