Friday, November 15, 2013

My Short Short for the Day



“Ahhhhh!” Gaby sat up quick. Sweat drenching her face. The sheets tangled around her. That dream again. That horrible vision. Why won't it stop!

“Are you ok Honey?” Her mother pulled her in close for a hug.

“It was the dream again.” Gaby wept bitterly while her mother stroked her hair.

“Tell me about Sweetie. Maybe it'll help.” Her mother said.

“It's a beautiful morning. The sun shining bright above. The air warm and clear. A gentle wind whispering through the trees. I'm in a wide open field full of soft, green grass and brightly colored flowers. I hear the birds singing in the trees and the squirrels chattering as they gather nuts. I feel happy, happier then I've ever felt. So at peace, so calm. I feel...wonderful.” Gaby wiped her eyes dry and sipped some water.

“Sounds lovely.” Her mother brushed some from Gaby's brow and tucked it behind her ear.

“It is.” Gaby smiled savoring the memory for a few moments before the frown returned. “Then all I can see is this eye. It fills my view, blocking out the entire world. It stares at me. Stares into me. My soul turns to ice. I try to move but I'm frozen in place. I can't see anything except that eye. I yell at it. 'What do you want'. But it doesn't answer. It doesn't blink. It doesn't look away. It just stares.”

“Shhh! It's ok now Honey.” Her mother pulled her into her arms and rubbed her back. “You're safe now.”

Gaby closed her eyes and clung to her mother as the tears began again. Then a sudden cold chill raced up her spine and her heart began to pound. She opened her eyes and all she could see was the eye, staring silently at her.

No comments:

Post a Comment