Thursday, December 20, 2012

My Short Short Story for the Day




You have a choice. You can travel back in time to change something and then return to the present.
The words echoed in my ears as I sat down. I know what I want to do and feel the urgency to leave immediately, but I have to stop and think. That's just who I am. I don't like to rush in. I need to think it through and be sure. My sister died of leukemia and if I went back in time I could tell her to get her blood checked. Then maybe they would catch it soon enough and be able to cure her. Or, better yet, I could do all kinds of research and take all that information back with me and give it to her and the doctors so they could save her. But what would that mean? How would my life change? Most importantly, would my daughter still be there when I returned to the present? I love my daughter more than anything but I'd give almost anything to have my sister alive. What should I do? Do I go back or don't I?

1 comment:

  1. A great little piece of writing. Deals with conflict and consequences, and let's the readers make up their own minds. Of course, she may have already been back in time and not realised it (who's to say that memory remains intact?)

    ReplyDelete