Friday, August 21, 2020

My Short Short for the Day

 “Wow, Rover, what are you gonna do?”  Sam asked.  “I mean, you can read peoples’ thoughts.  That must be good for something.”

“Well, I’m going to do what I always wanted.”  Rover paused for dramatic effect.  “Build myself a family.”

“Huh?”  Sam scratched behind his ear.

“Yes, I’m tired of living in alleyways and eating out of garbage cans.  I’m going to build a family of robots.”  Rover grinned.  “Now I just need to find the smartest person to help me.”

“Oh, there’s that weird guy who lives in his mom’s basement and blows something up at least once a week.”  Fluffy offered.

“No, I need someone who has access to all kinds of equipment.  And who knows how to build robots.”  Rover stated.  “And I think I know just who to talk to.”

“Uh, we can’t talk to humans.”  Sam said looking a little confused.

“I know, I know.  But I can read their thoughts.  So, I just need to get them to let me hang around.”  Rover stood.  “I’ll see you guys later.”

Rover found the scientist, wagged his tail enthusiastically and they became fast friends.  After months of intensive work, his family was done.  He completed the programming by copying what he had learned from the scientist and hit enter.  Now his family was complete.  It was time to show them off to his pals. 

“Hi guys!”  Rover barked.

“Rover, you’re back!”  Sam rushed over bouncing and wagging his tail. 

“Good to see you Rover!”  Fluffy yipped.

“Guys, I’d like you to meet my family.”  Rover stepped aside and barked at his family.  They walked forward and waved, then proceeded to scratch Sam and Fluffy behind their ears for few minutes before straightening up.

“What do you think?”  Rover asked eagerly.

“They’re so cool, Rover!”  Sam said.

“Yeah, they’re awesome.”  Fluffy yapped.

“We have a place just over on Centre Street.  And they’ve stocked it up with the best dog chow and toys and beds and even a little pool in the back yard.  Oh, and miles of space to run around in without worrying about the dog catcher.”  Rover wagged his tail excitedly as he talked.

“Wow, that sounds great.”  Sam said.  “You’ll be so happy there.”

“Yeah, Rover, you’ve got it made now.”  Fluffy agreed.

“No, guys, not just me.  All of us are going.”  Rover grinned.  “Come on!”

No comments:

Post a Comment