Monday, November 9, 2015

My Short Short for the Day


“Swim fishy, swim!”  The little girl shouted skipping along the snake trail. 

“Hurry up Etta.”  Her mother called.

Etta switched to a run to catch her mom and dad.  Her blond streaked pigtails flapping in the breeze as she pumped her arms back and forth, as fast as she could.  She ran headlong into the back of her dad’s leg. 

“Whoa, careful kiddo.”  Her dad said swinging her up into the air.

“Whee!  I’m a bird!”  Etta sang stretching her arms out.  “Look at me Mom!”

“I see.  You’re flying.”  Her mom smiled up at her.

“Oh, look!  The fishy is flying, too!”  Etta grinned.  “Fly fishy, fly!”

“Silly Etta!  Fish can’t fly.”  Her dad said setting her back on the ground.

“This one can.”  Etta replied pointing up.  “See?!”

Etta’s mom and dad looked up and saw the beautiful blue sky with some puffy, white clouds floating lazily by.  “Sorry Etta, but I don’t see any flying fish.”  Etta’s dad said patting her on the head.

“But it’s right up there.”  Etta’s smile faded.  “Can you see it Mom?”

Etta’s mom squatted down next to her.  “Um, well, that cloud kind of looks like a fish.”

“Hrmph.”  Etta pouted.  “Well, it is up there.  I’m looking right at it.” 

“I’m sure you believe that, dear.”  Etta’s dad said walking away.

“Sorry, fishy.  I guess they can’t see you.  But I do.”  Etta said.  “Have fun flying.”

Etta waved to the fishy and ran off to catch up with her parents.  The fishy flapped its flipper then soared into the deep, blue sky, leaping up and over the fluffy clouds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment