Monday, November 23, 2015

My Short Short for the Day


“It’s so cold Mom!”  Herman whined.

“I know dear, but you’ll get used to it.”  Mom said gently.

“But Mom!  I don’t want to get used to it.  I want to be warm.”  Herman drooped.  “Why can’t it be sunny all the time?”

“Because dear, we live in Maine.”  Mom replied patiently.  “We live where in a place where there are seasons.  And that means changes in the weather.”

“But why?”  Herman pouted.

“Because our ancestors decided to take root here.”  Mom answered shaking the snow off her branches.

“I wish I was a palm tree.”  Herman grumbled flapping his branches.

“But then look at all the beauty you would miss out on.”  Mom said pointing.

Herman paused his grumbling for a moment to look out at the scene around him.  He saw the snow dusted ground.  The glistening ice crystals hanging from the rooftop.  He smelled the crisp, chill of the air.  He listened to the peaceful, quiet of the day.  Everything was calm, pleasant and serene.  It was beautiful here he thought to himself.

Mom smiled and went back to shaking her branches.


No comments:

Post a Comment