Wednesday, August 21, 2013

My Short Short Story for the Day



It had been a long day and I was so thankful to finally be going to bed. I settled in and closed my eyes. The next thing I know my alarm is going off and the sunlight is peeking through the blinds. I smack the alarm and roll over to tell Harry to get up. I don't know why he doesn't just set his own alarm. Why do I have to be the alarm? Oh, whatever. It's easier this way. Then we don't have to fight about it every morning.

Harry has his back to me with the covers tucked up over his shoulder so all I see is the back 0f his fuzzy head. I poke at him and he grunts so I poke harder.

“It's time to get up.” I said starting to get annoyed. I put my hand on his back this time and start to shove. Then I notice how cold he is, almost like sticking your hand in the fridge. I push up onto my elbow and pull him onto his back. His eyes are open but weird. His skin is very pale and he stinks. Not just the normal kind of smells but rotten flesh kind of stink.

He turns his head toward me and grunts again slowly stretching his hand out. My heart leaps into my throat as I try to leap out of bed. I scream but for a zombie he's pretty quick and grabs my ankle holding me tight. I kick him and hear a disgusting crunch as something of his breaks. It doesn't faze him. This can't be real! This can't be real! This can't be real! I chant closing my eyes tight and willing this nightmare to end.

I hear a faint buzz that grows stronger until suddenly I open my eyes and realize that my alarm is going off. Thank goodness! I sigh in relief. I look over and all I see is Harry's fuzzy head sticking out of the covers. I gently touch his back and he feels warm.

He rolls over to look at me. “What's wrong?”

“You jerk!” I said punching him.

“What did I do?”

No comments:

Post a Comment