Saturday, April 20, 2013

My Short Short Story for the Day



“I'm going through something right now.” Carla said slumping into her chair.

“What is it? Maybe I can help.” Ann said sitting across from her friend.

“I don't know. That's the problem.” Carla shifted crossing her legs. “I'm having all these thoughts and feelings swirling around in my head but they won't stop moving long enough for me to make sense of them.”

“I don't get it.” Ann frowned.

“Imagine dropping a puzzle into a pool and trying to collect the pieces but every time you grab at one the movement pushes the rest away from you.” Carla said.

“Why don't you just get a net and scoop them all up like the pool cleaner guy?” Ann said.

“Oh, never mind.” Carla shook her head. “It's stupid.”

“Come on. Seriously. I want to help.” Ann said. “Hey, why don't you tell me when this all started.”

“Well, alright. It was a week or so ago.” Carla lowered her voice. “I had a dream about this guy.”

“Oooh. Who's the guy?” Ann whispered.

“That's not important. Anyway, I don't remember what happened in the dream just that this particular guy was in it.” Carla paused looking down at her hands. “And I can't stop thinking about him.”

“Hmm?” Ann sipped her coffee.

“And the more I try to figure out what it all means, the more jumbled up it gets.” Carla looked over at Ann.

“Alright, well, first off, who's the guy?” Ann asked.

“It doesn't matter what his name is.”

“Of course it does. Tell me.”

“I don't want to.”

“Tell me!” Ann grabbed Carla's arm.

“Ok, ok. Let go.” Carla pulled away. “It was Chuck.”

“Chuck? Stephanie's fiancee Chuck?”

“Yes, that Chuck.” Carla couldn't meet her eyes. “I know, I know. We've known him for years and I've never thought of him as anything but Steph's boyfriend.” Carla ran her hand through her hair. “But this dream, it's...it's just got me all confused. It feels like there's something I'm supposed to learn from it or figure out. Something important.”

“Just forget it Carla.” Ann took Carla's hand. “You need to let this go.”

“I've tried but I can't.” Carla met Ann's eyes. “What if I just talk to him?”

“No! Leave it alone!” Ann dropped Carla's hand and glared. “Steph has finally found a good man, don't screw it up for her. I mean it.”

“Ok. Forget I even brought it up.” Carla stood finishing off her drink.

“Good. I'll see you tomorrow then.” Ann grabbed her purse and walked to the door. “I'm sure it was just another of your silly dreams Carla. It didn't mean anything.”

Carla forced a smile. “You're right. What dream?”

Ann smiled back and waved as she walked away. Carla tossed her empty cup in the trash and left the shop. “Yeah, nothing. I wish. It's never just nothing.”

No comments:

Post a Comment