Wednesday, April 10, 2013

My Short Short Story for the Day



Into the darkness I walk, steadily, with confidence, self assured. The crunch of gravel beneath my feet echoes the determination in my head. I must do this. I have no choice. Do or be undone. The gravel gives way to dirt. The dust kicks up into the air, my eyes water but I blink them clear without slowing, never faltering. Time moves forward with each step. Destiny, fate is just ahead. The grass stretches out onto the dirt path growing thicker the further in I go. Soon I'm surrounded by grass, enclosed by a ring of trees, only a beam of sunlight squeezes through the treetops. I'm standing in a circle of bark with one single flower growing. I am here. I have made it at last. The time flashed by as it dragged its heels. There is only one last thing to do, but I hesitate. No, my resolve must be strong. I must do this. I have no choice. I reach down and pluck a tiny yellow piece of the flower careful not to touch the pink petals. I straighten, looking up into the sun until sweat glistens on my face. I look around at the trees, the green, green grass and even the brown of the bark at my feet. The pink petals stand out brighter than before. I take a deep breath and let it out slowly. I raise my hand and place the tiny yellow piece of flower onto my tongue. I close my mouth and begin to chew. I close my eyes and after a few moments I swallow. It is done. I feel a cold breeze bite at my cheeks and open my eyes to an unsettling site. Bright, barren and cold. No colors, no sounds, no scents, no warmth, nothing. It is much worse than I could ever have imagined. But I must face this, my destiny, my fate. It is what I will it to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment