Thursday, March 7, 2013

My Short Short Story for the Day



What a lovely spot Jan thought brushing a few fallen leaves off the bench. After checking for bugs she sat down and closed her eyes. I can't believe I agreed to a blind date. And at my age. Sure, 41 wasn't that old but she certainly wasn't a teenager anymore and blind dates were best left to the youngsters not people set in their ways. I have my job, my kids, my hobbies to keep me happy. I just don't need anymore change in my life right now. He's probably not even my type. Whatever that is. What if he's some crazed lunatic or something? Well, of course Beth wouldn't set me up with someone like that. Best friends don't do that to each other. Jan smiled and took a slow, deep breath. Holding it for a moment she cleared her mind and let it out slowly. A bird sang in the tree overhead and she heard the distant sound of laughter. The smell of fresh cut grass tickled her nose and the warm breeze gently brushed the hair off her cheek. She let the tension seep out and a smile spread across her face.

“You're beautiful.” The words were spoken quietly.

Jan opened her eyes and her smile grew. “You must be Adam.” She stood and extended her hand. His grip was firm but not overpowering. She liked the feel of her hand in his. It felt...right.

No comments:

Post a Comment