Tuesday, November 24, 2020

My Short Short for the Day

The waves crash down over my head and I start choking.  Water fills my nose and mouth, and I can’t breathe.  I sink like a stone, helpless.  My eyes fill with terror as my breath stops.  I reach for the surface and watch the light fade into darkness. 

Whump.  I hit the bottom.  I can still see some light above me.  I stretch up.  My lungs are burning and I realize I’ve been holding my breath.  I gave up but my body didn’t.  I move my body.  I touch dirt beneath my fingers.  I put my feet on the dirt and crouch.  There’s still time.

I shove off from the bottom and fix my gaze on the light above.  I kick my feet fast and hard, as if I have flippers on them.  I move my arms, pulling water away from my face as if I could move it aside and squeeze through to the top.  I stare and kick and pull.  My lungs are on fire but I deny them their job.  My legs are heavy with exertion but I ignore their suffering.  I must keep going.  I have to.

Fwoosh!  I burst up and out of the water, gasping, sputtering and smiling.  I choke and splutter as I doggie paddle to shore.  I claw my way onto the beach and collapse.  The water laps at my feet but I don’t care.  I have no strength to move.  I just let my lungs fill and release, fill and release, fill and release.

No comments:

Post a Comment