Tuesday, July 28, 2020

My Short Short for the Day


“Are you sure?  I mean, it is your 7th cup old timer.” 

“Hush up sonny!  Gimme that!”  Stan grabbed the cup and downed the coffee in two gulps.  “Old my butt.  I’m only 120…something.  Oh, who cares.  I don’t need some young whippersnapper telling me what I can or can’t do.  Now shut it and give me another cup with double espresso this time!”

With the fresh cup of coffee in his hand, Stan walked to the window and peeked out the curtains.  “Well, old boy, I guess this is it.  Time to rally the troops.”

Stan turned and walked back towards the crowded table of men, white-haired and dressed in cardigans and slacks.  People doubted them because of their age, but Stan knew better.  These men had all served alongside him during the last great war and fought valiantly.  Stan straightened with pride.  Time to lead this troop into their greatest battle yet.  “All right men, it’s time.  Let’s make this country proud!”

They all stood up, slowly with a lot of creaking of bones and joints, and picked up their weapons.  “Check your weapons one more time and load up on ammo.”

Stan checked his rocket launcher and hoisted the bag of ammo onto his back.  With one final breath, he flung open the doors and yelled, “Charge!”

The men ran out into the street, yelling and brandishing their weapons.  ‘These zombies don’t stand a chance' thought Stan prepping to launch his first rocket.

No comments:

Post a Comment