Thursday, April 2, 2020

My (not so) Short Short for the Day



Abby shot up in bed.  The sweat soaked sheets sticking to her bare arms.  Her screams pierced the night.  The nurse slammed open the door, prepped the needle and injected medicine into the IV drip.  She set down the syringe and gently grasped Abby’s shoulders. 

            “It’s ok dear.  You’re safe.”

As the medicine eased Abby back to sleep, she could hear the nurse say, “Such a lovely girl full of so much sadness.”

            “How about we start with you telling me about that day.”  Dr. Anders said pushing his glasses up and crossing his legs.

Abby stared at him for a moment.  He had a white coat on like all the other doctors but he wasn’t like the other doctors.  He wanted to talk about “that day”.  Every time he came in, all he wanted to know was about “that day”.  She told him the same story every time but he never believed her.  She knew that now.  At first, though, she thought he did believe her because he listened attentively.  But with each consecutive visit, he became more and more frustrated with her.  So today, she debated whether to change her story.  Tell him what he wanted to hear, just to avoid that annoyed sigh, the removal of his glasses and the meticulous cleaning of them to avoid looking at her.  But she didn’t know what he wanted to hear.  She was telling the truth whether he wanted to believe it or not.  So with a deep breath, she began.

            “Well, it was a pretty normal day.  I woke up a little earlier than usual to get in some more study time.  It was my History final that day and History is not my best subject.  I was nervous but not worried.  I had studied a lot and felt good about how I did on the test.  After school I came straight home because tomorrow was my Math final.  I wanted to review all the formulas and get a good night’s sleep.  Mom and Dad went out for their anniversary. They always go out to dinner and a movie.  They get all dressed up and act so silly.  I always tease them about it, but I think it’s kind of sweet.  Anyway, I had dinner and was washing the dishes when I heard a car screech like it slammed on its brakes.  Then there was a horrible thud.  Without thinking, I rushed outside.  I could only see the taillights of the car as it sped off.  At first I thought the body might be a dog but as I got closer I realized it was a person.  She was about my size with long brown hair.  She was wearing all black or maybe it just seemed like that because it was so dark out.  I didn’t know what to do.  My heart was pounding so hard and then I felt weird.  Everything got fuzzy and next thing I know, I’m waking up here.”  Abby’s voice trailed off.  She looked at Dr. Anders who was rubbing the bridge of his nose.

After a moment, Dr. Anders put his glassed back on.  He recapped his pen and put it back in his pocket.  He closed his notebook and stared at Abby.  Finally, he took a slow breath in and let it out.

            “Abby, I can only help you if you want the help.”

            “I do Dr. Anders.”

            “Then you need to tell me the truth. “

            “I am Dr. Anders.  I swear.”

            “Sometimes people block out reality because it’s too painful.  But the only way to get better is to face it.  That’s why I’m here.  I’m here to help you face your reality.  But you need to be honest with me about what happened.”

            “I am…”

            Dr. Anders got up, straightened his coat, tucked his notebook under his arm and walked to the door.  “I can only help you, if you help me.”  He looked at her for a moment then left.

Abby leaned back in her bed and closed her eyes.  ‘Why wouldn’t anyone believe her?’
When she opened her eyes again it was dark and very quiet.  She must have fallen asleep for a long time.  She hadn’t felt particularly sleepy, though.  There was a noise off to her left, towards the window.  She turned her head, squinting into the dark.  ‘Maybe just the wind?’  But then something moved in the shadows.  It wasn’t outside.  Her heart leapt.  She grabbed her sheets tight against her and stared where the shadow was.  Slowly a figure emerged and carefully made its way towards her.  Abby was terrified but couldn’t move. 

            “It’s ok Abby.  I’m not here to hurt you.”  The girl said carefully moving into a patch of moonlight.  The girl had long brown hair and was dressed all in black, just like the girl from the street.  Except she wasn’t dead.

            “Why?”  That was all Abby could utter.

            “Well, over the years I’ve learned a very important lesson.”  The girl looked at Abby and smiled.  “Sometimes a person has to feel like they are going a little crazy in order to open themselves up to something extraordinary.”

            “I don’t understand.”  Abby said.

            “No, but you will.”  The girl said turning toward the window.  “In time.”

            “Wait, where are you going?”  Abby sat up, clutching the sheet.  “You could help me.  You could tell the doctors, everyone that I wasn’t making it up.”

The girl turned and gave Abby a sympathetic smile.  “I wish I could, but I can’t.  Don’t worry, it will get easier.  But I have to go now.”

            “No, I have questions.”  Abby pushed the sheets back and slid her feet off the bed.  “Wait.”

            “I have to go now Abby, but I will be back soon.”  The girl walked through the window and faded into the darkness.

Abby was standing by the window looking out, trying to see the shadowy figure when the lights came on.

            “Dear, are you ok?”  The nurse walked quickly over to Abby and gently guided her back to bed.

            “Yes, I’m fine.”  Abby said giving the nurse a reassuring smile.


No comments:

Post a Comment