Tuesday, March 11, 2014

My Short Short for the Day



The sky is so...so...beautiful. I haven't seen it in over 500 years. This is my last day so I thought I would enjoy, well, everything.

I've spent my life in the shadows, hiding, sneaking, avoiding being seen. But then I met Dag. I tried to avoid him, stay away, but he wouldn't let me. He left me sweet notes, brought me treats and made me laugh. That's what finally made me give in. We started spending time together and soon we were in love. Completely, totally and hopelessly.

Then he was gone. Just like that. Well, maybe not quite that simply. We were together, watching tv, cuddling on the couch and all of a sudden the room started to shake, smoke billowed in and a bright flash of light blasted through. We didn't have time to run. I couldn't even move, but Dag did. He threw himself on me. He saved me and did it with a smile.

I tried to go on without him. But I was just barely surviving. Until I finally came to accept what I had to do. I had to live. Do all that I had wanted to but never dared. I had all the time in the world, right? But Dag threw me off. He changed me. He made me feel alive. The pain I felt now was proof that I was alive. And now I need to live.

So today is my last day. I'm staring up into the blueness of the sky with the white, puffy clouds floating across. The air is so fresh and clear, unlike the dampness of the shadows. The singing of the birds, so musical and sweet.

This is my last day, my last day of waiting to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment